What is a Business Associate?
A business associate (BA) can be any University vendor that either:
- receives protected health information (PHI) from the University or another BA;
- provides accounting, accreditation, actuarial, administrative, consulting, data aggregation, management, financial, or legal services; or
- uses or discloses PHI on behalf of the University.
To Do Business with a New Vendor
- Complete the Business Associates Web Form
- Send a copy of the contract between the vendor and the University either via:
a) fax at 305-243-7487 or
b) email PrivacyContracts@miami.edu
We will then determine if a business associate agreement is required and begin the process, if necessary.