HIPAA provides the following protections for your health information:
- The right to inspect and copy your health information: You have the right to inspect and copy health information that may be used to make decisions about your care or payment for your care.
- The right to request an amendment to your health information: If you feel that health information that we hold is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to amend the information. You have the right to request an amendment as long as the information is maintained by or for us. You must tell us the reason for your request and complete the appropriate University Request for Amendment form. Please contact our office for more information.
- The right to an accounting of disclosures: You have the right to request an accounting of certain disclosures of health information that we made.
- The right to request restrictions or limitations: You have the right to request a restriction or limitation on the health information that we use or disclose for treatment, payment, or health care operations. You have the right to request a limit on the health information that we disclose about you to someone who is involved in your care or the payment for your care, like a family member or friend. We are not required to agree to your request. If we agree to your request, we will comply with your request unless we need to use the information in certain emergency treatment situations.
- The right to request confidential communications: You have the right to request that we communicate with you about medical matters in a certain way or at a certain location. For example, you can ask that we contact you only by mail or at work. Your request must specify how or where you wish to be contacted. We will accommodate reasonable requests.
- The right to opt-out of fundraising communications: You have the right to ‘Opt-Out’ of receiving fundraising communications. You may do so by sending an email including your full name, address, and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to the Privacy Office mailing address. Normal processing time may take up to two (2) weeks from the date of receipt.
- The right to a paper copy of our Notice of Privacy Practices: You have the right to a paper copy of our Notice of Privacy Practices. You may ask us to give you a copy of this notice at any time. Even if you have agreed to receive this notice electronically, you are still entitled to a paper copy of this notice. You may obtain a copy of this notice on our website.